Smoky and Kidney Disease

by SmokyandLou, Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 10:34 (136 days ago)

My darling Smoky aged 11 and a half has just been diagnosed with kidney failure and has to go on to the dreaded special low protein bland kibble. Yuk he says, I will not be touching that.
He is already on heart meds and has a bit of arthritis so this is another thing he has to contend with. The thing is his tasty dinners are his greatest joy and all his naughty treats (dentistix, doggie sausages). Without his yummy food his life will be empty:-(
Does anyone have experience of this condition as I am trying to research what I can cook for him to make his dinners yummy. He absolutely loves eggs (scrambled, hard boiled)but I can't feed him eggs every day. He will eat rice if it's mixed in with something yummy. Ditto some vegetables.

Smoky and Kidney Disease

by Fizzy Lizzy, Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 17:53 (136 days ago) @ SmokyandLou

So sorry to hear of your dog's condition. Miserable for him, bless him. You could ask your vet whether he/she would approve of Chappie? It is very cheap and cheerful but I suspect it is low protein, although cannot vouch for that. I always have some in the cupboard in case of a tummy upset and one of my Cresteds has gone on it permanently now as he has gone off his raw tripe. It think it must be very tasty as they all love it.

It is basically fish and meal of some kind I think, but vets often suggest it if a dog is picky or as I say, has a tummy upset. Even just mixing a small amount with the hated kibble might help.

I wish you all the luck anyway. Do let us all know how you get on and if you find a satisfactory solution.

Smoky and Kidney Disease

by SmokyandLou, Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 20:47 (136 days ago) @ Fizzy Lizzy

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will certainly ask vet about Chappie but I rather suspect it may too have too much of the forbidden word - protein! But I am not sure about that. Thank you. I know they can have small amounts of good quality protein but I am still not sure what that really means. I have spent much of today trying to research home cooking for this condition but I am exhausted and bamboozled by all the conflicting info. Tonight I cooked sweet mashed potatoes, white rice, carrots, cabbage, parsley and blueberries and mashed it up and added a little coconut oil and a bit of scrambled egg. I thought I was being a wonderful mummy. Result = one mouthful:-(

Smoky and Kidney Disease

by Pat, Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 22:43 (135 days ago) @ SmokyandLou

Sorry to hear about Smoky. Fish is good as are egg whites and garlic. The egg whites are the best kind of protein, not the yolk, avoid if possible. Fish is another 'good' protein and you can vary the kind, e.g. Tuna, mackerel, salmon etc. Most hounds like garlic so can be added to give boring food a bit of interest. Big hugs to the big fella, hope he's around for a long while yet.

Smoky and Kidney Disease

by majorsdad @, Aberdeen, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 06:17 (135 days ago) @ Pat

Lou, I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, but please give the big guy a bosie from me x

Smoky and Kidney Disease

by SmokyandLou, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 11:01 (135 days ago) @ majorsdad

Thank you Pat and Stuart (he loved his bosie:-P ). I wondered about the egg yolks as I read it should just be whites then somewhere else I read whole eggs. Fish will certainly help and this morning I poured a little milk in with his brek and he mopped most of that up - I am seeing vet tomorrow so I can get more info. Got myself completely overwrought yesterday but getting him to eat might not be as bad as I had initially thought. Fingers crossed. Thank you everyone!

Smoky and Kidney Disease

by Fizzy Lizzy, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 11:26 (135 days ago) @ SmokyandLou

I was interested to read the advice about adding a bit of Garlic, as I always used to feed my dogs garlic in the form of a powdered supplement. (Easy enough on raw meat, but not so easy on a complete feed I guess).

I was told many years ago by my Mum, who used that famous alternative veterinary practitioner, who's name escapes me now, the Denes guy, that regular garlic will keep them free of internal parasites. It certainly never seemed to hurt any of my Bouviers. I also boiled garlic cloves to put the juice on the dinner of a dog that had gone off her food and have been known to chop some up to add to meat too. No ill effects whatsoever.

However, more recently, Garlic appears on the list of "banned" goods, along with onion, chocolate, raisins and grapes. It has puzzled me, but one doesn't like to go against "experts".

So, Garlic, friend or foe????

Going back to Smoky, if fish is OK, I suspect Chappie would be. I have just had a look at a tin and it says 6% protein, which seems quite low to me. The very best of luck anyway.

Smoky and Kidney Disease

by Pat, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 12:21 (135 days ago) @ Fizzy Lizzy

As with everything else, moderation is key. Garlic is toxic if fed enough, but then so is everything else! Fresh garlic is best, a couple of teaspoons worth would be enough. From what I've read, to be toxic to a dog of greyhound size would require a huge number of cloves, 50 or 60! My dogs love things with garlic, liver cake anyone :-D They also eat milk chocolate without ill effect :-D My first greyhound used to pinch grapes out the fruit bowl, she was fine too :-D

Smoky and Kidney Disease

by SmokyandLou, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 14:43 (135 days ago) @ Pat

Hi Fizzy Lizzy and Pat

I too have seen garlic popping up on lists of "banned" foods but I am inclined to go with Pat and think no harm in small quantities. Thanks for checking the protein on Chappies tin - that was very sweet of you to do that. I will mention it to vet tomorrow. I am off to buy a bit of white fish and don't tell the vet but he had toast n butter for lunch as he has always gone mad for bread. Actually I read that for his condition bread and even butter (I guess small quantities again) are ok! Thank goodness says Smoky!:-)

RSS Feed of thread